Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dining Al Fresco at La Creperie- Is It Worth It?

2845 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60657


View Larger Map

Quick Review:
I headed out on a hot and sunny day to La Creperie on Broadway in Lakeview. I was in the mood for outdoor dining though that day it was just a little too hot. Nonetheless, I sat outside under the shade of a tree. It was a good lunch but it wasn't great. Still, I would go back to eat outside there again as it is a nice outdoor spot to grab a bite to eat.

Long Review: I walked in the sweltering sun down Broadway to La Creperie. When I walked inside I was greeted by the warm interior. It had an authentic french feeling and seemed to capture the neighborhood bistros of France well. But I wasn't there to critique the decor I was there to critique the food. Most notably the Nutella Crepe.

I was seated on the back patio and ordered the chicken, tomato, and goat cheese crepe to start. I looked around at the other patrons. Two older men looked unhappy as they waited for the check to be picked up. Uh-oh is there something wrong with the service here?

Not that I could tell my server was nice and accomodating. I didn't see a problem with him. The crepe arrived and it was big. It was alright. Not too much goat cheese flavor that it should be renamed goat cheese crepe but also not so much chicken it would be chunky and bland. Though, the chicken was a little on the dry side.

After I finished the crepe, I was full. The crepes at La Creperie are filling so share if you're a light eater. I contemplated not ordering the Nutella crepe, but I had come specifcally to try it so I ordered it wondering if I would be allowed to take a doggy bag home.

It came and it was almost as big as the crepe I had for my main course. It was good, but not as good as I was expecting. The Nutella was also a little runny too. Maybe it was the heat of the sun though. Was it worth the trip there? It was good but I wouldn't go out of my way for the Nutella Crepe.

All in all La Creperie is a nice little neighborhood bistro that makes good crepes. I would go back with freinds for lunch but not expectations for an exceptional lunch.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: